Plastic pollution has emerged as a pressing environmental concern, with its detrimental impact on ecosystems and human health. As a responsible and environmentally conscious company, we are dedicated to reducing our plastic waste and promoting sustainability within everything we do.
As part of plastic free July, we are showcasing our past achievements, highlighting recent progress, and sharing our plans for the future, with a view to ultimately becoming Single-Use Plastic Free.
Past Achievements: Paving the Way for Change
Over the past years, we have implemented significant changes aimed at minimising our reliance on single-use plastics.
- Embracing Reusables: To tackle the issue of disposable cups, we replaced paper and plastic cups with reusable glasses and mugs. This simple switch has substantially reduced the number of cups ending up in landfill.
- Opting for Ceramic Plates: As part of our endeavour to eliminate single-use paper plates, we transitioned to durable ceramic plates for office use. Not only do they provide a more eco-friendly alternative, but they also enhance the dining experience for our employees.
- Promoting Reusable Cutlery: Plastic stirrers were replaced with reusable cutlery, fostering a more sustainable dining culture within our workplace while curbing plastic waste.
- Replacing paper towels with electric hand-dryers at STEP sites has: Saved purchasing 2,145 packs of paper towels every year. Saved the use of 429,000 paper towels every year. Saved almost 1 tonne of used paper towels going to landfill every year.
Recent Progress: Building upon Our Achievements
Building upon our past successes, we continue to make strides in reducing plastic consumption.
Here’s what we have accomplished this year:
- Sustainable Biscuit Packaging: Plastic-wrapped biscuits have been replaced with foil or paper packaging. This shift to more sustainable options has significantly decreased the amount of plastic waste generated in our offices.
- Water Glass Jug: Instead of offering bottled drinking water, we now serve water in glass jugs. This shift eliminates the need for single-use plastic bottles and encourages our employees to embrace reusable containers.
- Recyclable Coffee Sachets: Plastic coffee sachets have been replaced with metal sachets that are 100% recyclable and that are also sourced from a B CorpTM certified company. This transition to environmentally friendly packaging materials represents a step towards a more sustainable coffee culture within our workplace.
Collective Impact: Power in Numbers
While these changes may seem small individually, their collective impact is substantial.
By implementing these recent measures, we have successfully diverted an additional 14.35KG of single-use plastic waste from landfills each year.
What’s Next? Sustaining the Momentum
Participating in Plastic-Free July demonstrates our commitment to raising awareness and taking further action against plastic pollution. Here are our upcoming initiatives:
- Company-wide Litter Pick: Throughout July, our team will engage in a company-wide litter pick across our five locations. This clean-up initiative not only revitalises our surroundings but also highlights the importance of responsible waste management.
- Eco-friendly Cleaning Products: We are actively exploring alternatives to conventional cleaning products, seeking environmentally friendly options that reduce our reliance on single-use plastic packaging.
- Sustainable Hand Soap: In our ongoing efforts to reduce plastic waste in our washroom facilities, we are researching and transitioning to sustainable hand soap options that come in refillable containers.
We’re on a mission to reduce plastic waste and make our planet a better place. As part of Plastic-Free July, we’re inviting you to join us in saying no to single-use plastics. Trust us, it’s a simple but powerful step towards a more sustainable future.
Some top tips to make a start:
- Bring Your Own Reusable Items: Carry a reusable water bottle, coffee cup, and shopping bag. By using these items instead of single-use plastics, we can significantly reduce our ecological footprint.
- Say No to Plastic Straws: Request drinks without plastic straws or opt for reusable or biodegradable alternatives. This small change can have a big impact on reducing plastic pollution.
- Choose Sustainable Packaging: When shopping, prioritise products with minimal or plastic-free packaging. Look for brands that use eco-friendly materials and support their commitment to sustainability.
- Spread Awareness: Share information about Plastic-Free July with your friends, family, and colleagues. Encourage them to participate and make conscious choices throughout the month and beyond.
- Support Local and Sustainable Businesses: Choose businesses that align with your values by prioritising those that actively promote sustainability and reduce plastic waste.
By collectively refusing single-use plastics and embracing sustainable alternatives, we can work towards a world where plastic pollution is minimised, and our ecosystems thrive.
Remember, every action counts, no matter how small. Together, we can create a ripple effect that inspires others to follow suit. Join us at STEP as we take part in Plastic-Free July and contribute to a cleaner, healthier planet for future generations.
Marketing Manager at STEP, Jenn is a forward-thinking senior marketing professional offering a unique combination of creativity and analytical skills, with the ability to assess both vantage points simultaneously for an effective balance of branding and sound business decisions which have been proven to be easily transferable into a variety of positions.